February 8, 2008

Anyone Love Homemade Tomato Soup!?!

I don't have chicken soup and frankly don't care to eat chicken soup right now so I came up with this and I think I am going to be eating it for the next month or so if I have my way. ;)


Homemade Tomato Soup!
Taken from a 1950 Betty Crocker cookbook


Blend in pot


3 TBSP Butter


2 TBSP Flour


1 tsp Salt


1/8 tsp Pepper (I just shook some in)


This is where I step in and change things


1 can 28 oz. (1 lb. 12 oz.) Peeled Whole Tomatoes in Tomato Juice


1 can 10.75 oz. Tomato soup (Cheap store brand)


1 can 6 oz. of Tomato Paste


Crushed Dried Basil to taste


(this adds a wonderful flavor to the soup, highly recommended!)


1/4 tsp Baking Soda (that is actually in the recipe)


I mix it up really good and mush all the tomatoes up with my hands to break them down because I don't like waiting. Once everything is stirred up reallygood.


then add


4 cups Milk


Bring to boil, stirring constantly.


I don't know how much this feeds but it is a really good pot and we had enough for two days...only becuase the five of us had big bowls of it!


I also crushed up some ritz crackers (the perfect cracker for Tomato soup I think) and some finely shredded Colby cheese on top!


OH SO GOOD!!!! ENJOY :)

No comments: