April 17, 2008

Scary Night in Our Home!!!

It was a normal kind of night. Kids in bed a little after 7:00 pm, husband and I in the living room watching a dvd and some telly. Then everything changed in a flash.
Cop shows up at the door...didn't really look at the time but I know it was before 10:00...to our surprise with our oldest son (8yrs)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOLY FREAKIN' CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jonas had been walking in his sleep. He had gotten dressed and put on a shoe and flip flop then got the lock of his window and climbed out. He was found at the 7-Eleven down the street...I think it is about a five/ten minute walk from here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Praise the LORD, He had angels watching over our little guy. We didn't hear a thing and we had even been thru the house a few times...the house isn't that big either! I guess a couple went to the store and saw him and they called the cops saying it looked like a child neglect...the cop told us that it wasn't (haha it's nice to know we aren't neglectful) and he totally understood because he is also a sleep walker.
I seem calm on the outside but on the inside I am falling apart!!! Last week the thought of this happening went thru my head and I was asking myself what I would do and how I would respond...I guess now I know.
So my husband re-enforced a screw in the window so that it can't be opened anymore then 3 inches and in my freaking out I kept Jonas' bedroom door open a crack and put the laundry hamper and some bubble wrap in front of his door because I thought if he got up again I would hear him better if he were to step on the bubble wrap or walk into the laundry hamper.
So yeah, that was our night and I pray to God that it doesn't happen again. I was a sleep walker also. It is a scary thing to find out the things you do in your sleep. When I was younger we lived on a farm in Southern Oregon...outside our kitchen door a ways was an extremely HUGE colony of fire ants that had built a hill in an old door frame...my parents found me sitting on it. Scary!!
Ok I'm going to go hug my kids now. Thank You Lord for protecting my boy!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. wow, so lucky he went in the direction of the 7/11.

I'm going to suggest for your front door, getting a chain lock and putting it up high. You guys are tall, so you can reach it.

I just about lost my breakfast reading that.

How did the cops know where he lived, did they wake him up?

Praise God indeed. Bren

Anonymous said...

Oh thank God for His angels protecting our babies. I'm so glad he's alright. I'm sure you'll come up with what you need to do now to keep him in the house. We parents can be very creative!