April 11, 2012

Fresh

Watched the documentary called Fresh today.
Very well put together. Well worth the watch.
I lived on a farm a few times growing up and my dad and his dad always grew incredible gardens... Did I get that gene? Haha nope. I got the build things out of wood, craft/art gene. Which you think I could put into the design and growing of a garden, but apparently I haven't figured that one out yet. 
We even had chickens, cows, pigs, goats, geese and pheasants... yes a male and a female pheasant... they were beautiful. 
I miss all that. Food that you grow and eat taste so much better than what you find in the stores. 
I guess we could have two or three chickens (for eggs) where we live and I could grow a garden... but I really wish my dad could be here to help me with the process and learning. 
It takes a whole family to agree and decide together to make such changes. I know the kids would follow, but the spouse is the one that could be an obstacle. 

Anyways, watching documents like this and reading some of the blogs I read gives me this nudge that I wish I could just follow through. There's 24 hours in a day and there is time to make things from scratch... that motivation just needs to be there and when it does show up it needs to stay. 
I can get really excited about something but once the process is started be done with it just like that. Don't know why... well maybe I do. 
Made my marinara sauce yesterday... it's been a long time. I say it's from scratch... but thinking about it later, it's not so much from scratch because I use tomato sauce/crushed tomatoes out of a can and and add my own spices. When I could buy the tomatoes from a farmer's market/store and really and truly make the sauce from scratch. Think that will be my goal this year... make things truly from scratch and try my darnedest to get the ingredients from local farmers.
Life shouldn't be so difficult. Keep it simple and you will be a happier person. Slow things down and just enjoy those simple pleasures.
   

No comments: